Dog Blog

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Day 7
At midnight it will have been a week since Daisy left. I can feel that a scab has begun to form over the wound to my heart, thanks in large part to all the people in my life who have sent remembrances, cards, e-mails, poems. I've been overwhelmed by the kindess of friends, family and neighbors. I have lit a "puppy's breath" scented candle a friend sent and will send some prayers up to her at the moment she passed from our lives. Bubba just came into my room to join me. She's still in my thoughts and little things throughout the day remind me of her, but the tears are much less frequent than they were. This morning was hard, though, because I lost her on this day a week ago. Going to my aunt's house today with family to celebrate my dad's 85th birthday (tomorrow) and seeing my favorite cousin Jimmy, who always makes me laugh, really lifted my spirits. Reading the story I wrote about her that was printed in Inside Publications was also affirming of the fact that I gave her a good life she would not have otherwise had. I have to keep holding that thought to help me through this.

Bubba is beginning to inhabit his new role as an only dog. He was even barking at passersby, as Daisy used to do with such frequency. His bark is much deeper and more melodious than hers was. He has also been playing a lot, which he hadn't done in a long time. I took him to the river this morning, and he saw some ducks and geese and enjoyed smelling all the wild scents at the river's edge. It did my heart good to see him having a good time. We'll spend some more quality time together tomorrow. We've been showering him with attention, to make up for any lack of it the past 7 months while Daisy was sick. I may even try working on the pastel I began of Daisy before she died. I could not have thought of doing so this past week and missed my last art class I signed up for. I wish I'd finished the painting while she was still here, but I am compelled to finish it now in her memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home