Dog Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Day 3
I'm just muddling through each day somehow. Going through the motions of carrying on. I try to distract myself with work and today with some shopping therapy. I bought a new dress for Talbot's Book Club Thursday when Sacramento Magazine will be there taking photos of authors who've done appearances there. I had to get out and about for a little while. It's hard staying around here because Bubba is grieving for Daisy, too. He mopes around the house, which doesn't make me feel any better. But I'm trying to stay around as much as possible for his sake because I don't want him to be lonely. Today, there was actually a tear rolling down his cheek. I would have marked it off to runny eyes from allergies, except he doesn't have allergies, and I've never seen this happen with him before. It was a real tear! We're shedding many together since Daisy left. We all miss our crazy Daisy. Bubba didn't get shopping therapy today, but he had three walks, one at the park where we lately walked with Daisy, so I hope that helped fill up the long hours of his day. I can't say he looks much happier, but with a basset how can you tell? He did want to play the biscuit game after dinner, which he ate all of tonight, so that's an encouraging sign that he is adjusting to her absence. I wish I were.

I've received so many nice cards, calls, and e-mails from friends offering condolences on the loss of Daisy. Thanks to everyone who has written to me. I can't tell you how comforting it is to know that others understand and care about what I'm feeling right now and share my sadness. At times like this I can't help wondering why I keep setting myself up for the unbearable heartache that inevitably comes when you lose a beloved dog. I know a decade of unconditional love comes at a price, but my Texas friend, theologian and fellow basset lover, Don Burda, says it much better than I could:

"I believe that we all see a more pure form of the soul, spirit, essence—whatever you wish to call it—we all possess and share, one less tainted, seemingly, than our own. We find that in companion animals, and for us, basset hounds in particular. They reflect what’s good about us, not what’s bad, as we do to each other. Even my Uncle Joe, who was terrified of dogs his entire life, couldn’t resist “The Look” from Sadie. They show us how to be fully human, fully loving, and they do it effortlessly. For unlike us, they are unsullied by our 'superior' intellect and ego...And so we strive to be with them, be like them if we are lucky. To turn away from them is to turn away from ourselves."

Thanks, Don.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home