Dog Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Peaches has been with us 10 years today.  She was 3 1/2 years old when I adopted her.  She's still going strong at age 13 1/2.  It seems like a long time ago, and she's seen me through a lot: the loss of my dear father and two beloved male dogs.  I remember the day Peaches and I met three days after Christmas in 2006. I had signed up for the pet request program at our local SPCA.  I'd already passed up a couple of dogs, which didn't seem like a good fit for one reason or another. After I saw her in the kennel, I was told to wait in the get acquainted room while they brought her to me.  In a few minutes the door opened and in charged a terrified little black and white basset girl. She shot across the room straight for me and promptly sat on my left foot. I had been chosen, claimed. She would be mine and I would be hers from that day onward to this.

She was a beautiful little dog, but what impressed me most was the unusual white marking running the length of her back that looked like one of those Jesus fishes you see on car bumpers. I made up my mind then and there to adopt her.  She was already spayed, so I took her home the same day.  She had been bounced from pillar to post, from the puppy mill she surely came from to a high-kill shelter in Stockton to the Sacramento SPCA. I remember she was so upset on the way to she knew not where that she pooped in the back of my new SUV.  Poor girl was such a nervous, fearful dog.  She still is, though she has mellowed quite a lot from those days when she crab-walked through life, pressing herself as close to the ground as she could.  That and the stripe up her back made her look more like a badger than a dog.

This morning, she came into my bedroom like she always does for pets and to sit on my foot as I get out of bed.  I fed her a special breakfast, and then we took her for a walk at the college Arboretum, where in years past we used to walk her and our sweet Beau, who will be forever missed.  Peaches seems to be doing very well for nearly 14 years of age.  She's been our healthiest dog so far.  Perhaps she'll outlive all our other bassets.  I hope so!

Friday, March 11, 2016

PURINA DOG FOOD RECALL


Purina has recalled its Beneful and Pro Plan brands for vitamin deficiencies.  Since Nestle Corporation took control of the Purina brand, I personally would never buy their pet food. 

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

ALERT!


Long time, no blog, but if you were planning on keeping your dog distracted from your sumptuous Thanksgiving feast with a chewie, better skip giving him/her Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild chews.  They are, like so much of the food we assume is safe to feed our pets, tainted with Salmonella.  What's a pet parent to do?  

Personally, I'd never give my dogs anything like these chews, which look an awful lot like bones to me.  Like any bones, including the ones from the Thanksgiving turkey, they can splinter in the dog's intestines and cause serious or even life-threatening problems.

Here's wishing you and your pets a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

RAW FOOD ALERT


As a survivor of Salmonella poisoning, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would feed their dog raw chicken or raw anything in meats, but if you do, you'll be interested in this latest alert about Raw Dog.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

PET FOOD RECALL ALERT



Carnivore Meat Company of Green Bay, Wisconsin has recalled its Vital Essentials raw frozen dog food due to possible contamination from Listeria bacteria.  Personally, I don't eat raw meat, and I won't feed it to my dogs, either.  It's like playing Russian Roulette with their health.  There's just too much deadly food contamination out there these days, and not only meat.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

DOG FOOD ALERT!


On July 2, 2015, The Boulder Dog Food Company of Boulder, Colorado, announced it is now expanding it recall to include one lot of its Turkey Sprinkles Food Enhancer because it also has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria.

Monday, June 22, 2015

URGENT! DEATH BY PEANUT BUTTER


For dog lovers who use a spoonful of peanut butter to make the medicine go down or let your dog lick out the empty peanut butter jar, like I do, there is an urgent warning of danger to your dog! Some manufacturers are adding the fake sweetener Xylitol to their product, which can be deadly for dogs. Here's more information from I Heart Dogs.