Dog Blog

Monday, September 09, 2013

TROUBLING NEWS ABOUT BEAU


Our veterinarian says the cytology on the growth that has popped up rather quickly on Beau's anus shows it's a superficial tumor of some kind, but whether or not it's malignant won't be known unless he undergoes surgery to have it removed and tested.  The problem with that is he is a nine-year-old dog (possibly older) and has a heart murmur, which may make an operation very risky for him, Doctor says.  I'd hate to needlessly lose him on an operating table if it turned out to be a benign growth, but if it is in fact a malignant tumor, not removing it could be bad, too. Take your pick.  I hate these kinds of decisions!  

After our horrid experience with Daisy in 2006, who had an inoperable tumor in the same region that finished her off in short order, I'm plenty distressed by this news.  I couldn't bear to lose my darlin' Beau.  This dog has captured my heart like no other dog I've had, though they've all ultimately broken it.  I hope he won't break it too soon.  

The doc prescribed an antibiotic to administer to him for the next 10 days and said to apply warm compresses on the growth to see if it goes down on its own.  I'm praying it does.  I'll watch it for the next week.  The next step will be a trip to the cardiologist, lab work, and then surgery if he is deemed fit to undergo the procedure.  We're entering the phase of a dog's life that I most dread, old age and what surely follows.  

Words to the wise from Rudyard Kipling in his poem, "The Power of the Dog":

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day; 
And when we are certain of sorrow in store, 
Why do we always arrange for more? 
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware 

Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home