Dog Blog

Monday, August 07, 2006

The weather has cooled tremendously, and it's wonderful! I can walk Bubba any time of day and not worry about his overheating. I'm trying to keep life as interesting as I can for him, but he does not seem very happy these past few weeks. He's not eating very well, either. Not that he couldn't spare a few pounds. I hope it is not because of Daisy's conspicuous absence, but I fear it is. Of course, I know exactly how he feels. I'm still missing her terribly, too. Every day. Hardly a moment goes by that I don't think of her, although when I'm busy it's better. Keeping busy is a good antidote for me, but all Bubba does is lie around and sleep when he's not being walked. He's an old dog, and old dogs sleep a lot, but I saw much more life in him before Daisy died. Apparently, he even misses the competition over food at suppertime. He won't claim any space that was hers--sleeping or eating space. She's still alpha even though she's no longer here. It's amazing that he could miss her so doggone much when she was so nasty to him his whole life. He's due for his rabies shot, so when I take him in for it I'll ask the vet what she thinks about his condition. Could he be a candidate for Prozac? I hate seeing him mope around this way, but I'm really not ready to adopt another dog yet. Having one dog to care for is much easier than having two, but I also understand that pack animals like bassets are happiest when in the company of other bassets. I have to admit that it just doesn't seem like a pack around here any more since Daisy's been gone, and I'm sure Bubba is sensing that, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home