Dog Blog

Friday, July 28, 2006

Back from a much-needed vacation at Lake Tahoe, although I was doing some editing on book three in my mystery series. I was also checking out any changes to South Tahoe and gathering material for future books. The trip was very well timed since I missed the killer heat wave that claimed over 50 lives in central California, mostly the elderly and infirm, and countless farm animals. Blackouts made ovens out of people's homes and many just slow cooked to death. One person had a core temperature of 109 degrees. We are not even prepared to survive 10 days of triple digit temperatures. How would we survive a disaster of Katrina proportions...or worse? No such thing as global warming, huh, Mr. Bush? Have you stuck your head out the Oval Office window lately? I feel fortunate that I could escape to the mountains. For many there was no escape. A blessed delta breeze has finally cooled things off here, though, temperatures and tempers alike.

I'm glad that Bubba was up in the mountains with me because heat like that is hard on an old dog. Even Tahoe was not immune from the heat, though. The sun at 7,000 feet elevation is instense. Most homes and businesses are not air conditioned because it's usually not needed. Mornings and evenings were cool and pleasant, and that's when I walked Bubba. He discovered the chipmunks that abound in the forest, and our walks became all about stalking Chip and Dale. That's not unlike the cat scans he does at home when we walk around the neighborhood.

I took Daisy along with us on the trip and scattered some of her ashes at the crest of the hill behind the cabin, that special place I call our "sunny spot," where I have walked with all my bassets over the years. I did a ceremony for her and read aloud some lovely verse my mother-in-law sent titled, "The Truest Friend." And she was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home