Dog Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

BACK TO SCHOOL BLUES


Kids get the blues when summer's over and it's time to go back to school.  So do their canine companions.  Now that dogs are allowed on restaurant patios in many cities and people can take them to the office, maybe it's time to institute Take Your Dog To School Day, where children could take turns bringing a well-behaved dog to class, one that is comfortable being with children, obviously.  

It's been proven that workers in offices are calmer and more productive when their pets are present.  Might that not also be true of children in school?  I know I would have been in dog heaven if I could have brought my old childhood playmate, Dusty, to school with me.  There are now Read to Your Dog programs at libraries, which encourage children to read more books, and it works!  Thus far, dogs aren't reading books back to the kids, but why not take it a step further?  

Yes, I can hear the collective howls and they aren't coming from the dogs.  I know teachers have enough on their plates already, but perhaps the children would be easier to manage with a canine present in the classroom.  Dogs do have a way of making everyone feel more relaxed.  I know it works for me.  It could work in schools, too.  It would have the added benefit of teaching youngsters to be kind to animals.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home