Dog Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

FIGHTIN' WORDS


I'm proud to have an essay of mine included in the upcoming PEN Oakland anthology, "Fightin' Words-25 Years of Provocative Poetry and Prose from "The Blue-Collar PEN," which will be available for purchase November 2014 from Heyday Books. I consider myself fortunate to share the pages of this literary volume with some illustrious company, including Norman Mailer, Paul Krassner and Kitty Kelley.  

Some of the advance praise for the book comes from Eugene B. Redmond, who was my poetry professor at CSUS.  I took his Black Poetry class and loved hearing him read from the works of other notable African American poets like Paul Laurence Dunbar and Langston Hughes.  Unfortunately, my timing was a bit off to have studied with Maya Angelou, who was also teaching at Sac State around the same time.  I think I'd already graduated by then.  Born too soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home