Dog Blog

Monday, July 30, 2012

GIMME SHELTER!








Some sad and scary shelter headlines for pets and their people.  Aren't shelters supposed to be finding homes for adoptable pets instead of destroying them?  I thought that was what shelter meant.  What kinds of people are running our local shelters?  Inquiring pet lovers want to know.  If a dog has any chance of being adopted, then why is it being "humanely euthanized"?  Isn't that term an oxymoron?  What, pray tell, is remotely humane about euthanizing a perfectly healthy, adoptable dog, even if it is a senior of 7 or 8 years?  There are lots of great older dogs.  I know; I have two. 


With these kind of death camp attitudes, I wouldn't have my Peaches or Beau, since they both came from the Stockton shelter, which is not really a shelter at all from what I observed but rather an outdated, dismal dog pound.  I know times are tough and money is tight and running a shelter, especially in this dreadful economic climate, is challenging.  But do we really need personnel with a take-no-prisoners attitude running our shelters?  



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home