Dog Blog

Sunday, July 03, 2011

The Fourth of July won't be a celebration for many dogs that are fearful of the noisy fireworks (like my Beau).  The ones that aren't injured or killed when fleeing into traffic will end up in our already overcrowded shelters and may never find their way back home.  To avoid this 100% preventable tragedy, check these off before you light that first firecracker:


JULY 4th DOG SURVIVAL CHECKLIST  


My dog is microchipped and wearing his collar with ID, including my current address and phone.


My dog is safely secured in his home or yard.  Crates are safest.  I've checked for escape routes in my yard. Gates are locked.


I keep vet-prescribed meds on hand to calm my dog if necessary. Benadryl and Rescue Remedy also work. I've left the TV or radio on to help abate the noise.


While I may want to take my dog along to fireworks displays, I realize that dogs have very sensitive ears and he may be terrified by the loud bangs. It's kinder to leave him where he doesn't have to endure all the noise.


If I know my dog gets upset during fireworks, I decide to stay home to ensure his safety or I hire a pet sitter. No amount of fun is worth endangering his well being. That's the price of being a responsible pet owner. 


Lastly, I make sure that my dog stays cool on these firecracker hot days by not leaving him in places where he will overheat, like in cars or direct sun.  I keep him inside my air-conditioned home, or I provide him with shade throughout the day in my yard and give him plenty of fresh, cool water.  I am also watchful of my dog around rivers, lakes, and swimming pools and provide him with a life jacket.  Dogs can drown, too, and often do.


HERE'S WISHING YOU AND YOUR BEST FRIEND A SAFE AND HAPPY 4TH!



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home