Dog Blog

Monday, November 16, 2009

Beau has been with us for a month now.  He is more settled now, I'm happy to say, and we have new sleeping arrangements.  No, not in my bed.  Not yet, anyway.  Although he did jump into bed with me this morning for a brief snuggle after Peaches got up.  I had to repurchase the wire crate from the pet store, only in the largest size, and that's where he sleeps now at night.  The other one was too small for him to sleep comfortably, even though it was supposed to fit a basset.  He's a long, long dog.  He is fine with it and seems to like sleeping in his own den.  Now that his pillow has his own scent, that helped him accept it more readily this time.  

Beau is the first dog I've ever crated, and it's because he had a lapse in house training and made some rather sloppy mistakes on the living room rug.  Long past time to have it cleaned, anyway.  I think something must have upset his digestion because he seems fine now and has made no more messes in the house, even when I leave him out of his crate while I go to the cafe each afternoon.  He sleeps quietly in his crate all night, and then I let both dogs out first thing in the morning.  Peaches has taught him to use the doggy door in both directions now.  He's learning some bowel and bladder control, which he needed to do.

Peaches still sleeps with me all night.  I didn't want to force her to accept Beau into every area of her life with me.  I think there has been enough of an adjustment to be made for an only dog who adores me like she does.  It's been an adjustment for me, too.  I confess I enjoyed our special bond we shared, and I hope she doesn't feel like that has been compromised too much with the new dog on the block, but now that Beau is here, she loves him and so do we.  He is such a sweet, loving boy, but a bit of an attention hog, so I have to make sure Peaches gets lots of attention, too.  No one ever said adopting dogs is easy, and it's not.  I think I finally understand what parents go through with sibling rivalry.    

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home