Dog Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I had to take Beau to the vet today.  His neuter stitches have gotten a little infected and his sac is too swollen, so he's on some antibiotic, which will also treat the kennel cough he's developed.  I thought we might not have to go through that with him, but the inoculation shelters give incoming dogs is like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.  They are already exposed once they come into those facilities.  Immunity takes time to build up, and the kennel cough takes about a week to develop, so it seems like a waste of time giving the shot.  Perhaps it reduces the infection severity and duration, though.  

The vet also brought up the specter of canine influenza as a possibility but said it's not likely since it has not appeared in Northern California YET.  I sincerely hope that is not what Beau has.  He seems kind of out of it tonight, but I think it's partly pouting that he didn't get another walk.  He's not going to be getting any more until things look better down there.  He has to stay quiet to give himself time to heal.  My husband wants to walk our new dog, so I'll have to fight the both of them, I guess, to keep from having any more complications from the surgery.  

I am utterly exhausted from the past few days' ordeal, so I hate to think what it would be like having a puppy again.  At least Beau has been no trouble other than his medical issues.  He's housebroken, sleeps through the night in his own bed, and obeys all commands.  He is not as stubborn as some bassets I've had, including Peaches, who can be willful at times when she's not getting her way.  

I probably could have bought a show dog for what I've spent on Beau thus far, but that really isn't the point.  I'm glad I rescued him from the Grey Mile.  I couldn't have found a better, more loving dog.  He really is the sweetest, mellowest, most affectionate dog I've had, with the possible exception of our first basset, Butterscotch.  Like her, Beau has a heart of gold.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home