Dog Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2009

I've been really sick with a rotten, stinking cold all week, and poor Peaches is bored, bored, bored.  Either that or sad, sad, sad.  Looking at her face is almost more than I can stand.  It's really hard to tell if a basset is depressed, but I'm sure she's still grieving for Bubba.  As with people, it's a long, painful process healing from the death of a family member, and she's exhibiting signs that go along with this, according to what I've read on the subject.  I struggle to keep the daily routines as normal as I can, but I'm also trying my best to keep her day-to-day life more interesting in his absence, taking her for more walks, varying where we go, trying to engage her in her games that she seems to have lost interest in playing.  The competition for treats is gone now, which means she will leave a biscuit untouched, very unusual behavior for her.  The same is true of chew toys.  She doesn't seem to really come to life until my husband comes home, which signals to her that what is left of her pack (sans Bubba) is complete and things are somewhat normal again.  In time, I'm sure we'll all adjust, but it's tough on all of us.  I wish he hadn't had to leave us.   

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home