Dog Blog

Monday, January 15, 2007

Peaches is still battling the kennel cough, which is now more like allergies, with violent sneezing and asthmatic wheezing. She was carrying on so last night that I called the vet today and insisted she prescribe a different antibiotic for Peaches, which she did. The Benadryl that I'd been advised to give her seemed to have no effect whatsoever except to induce sleep in me when I also took a pill in desperation for that purpose. Now she's on Clavimox (Amoxycillin) for the next week, which I hope will knock the rest of this foul kennel curse out of her. It seemed she was a little better this evening after just one pill, so I sure hope things will improve for her. I know it's been uncomfortable for the little girl at night, and none of us has had any quality sleep the past two weeks. Adopting a new dog is not much less sleep depriving than having a new baby, it would seem.

Something kind of funny happened tonight, and it was fortunate we were here at the time or it might not have been so funny. I noticed Peaches standing apparently frozen in place beside the dining table. It alarmed me because she seemed hunched over and I worried that she was sick or something. She didn't whine or complain, though. At first I thought she was afraid of the wooden box that was upturned in front of her, but when I moved the box, she still refused to budge an inch. When I came down to comfort her and find out what was the trouble I then realized her collar was hooked on something and she couldn't move. It was hung on the button of my coat, which was hanging on the chair. A button had slipped neatly through the ring that held her ID and microchip tags. I removed her collar, unhooked it from the button, and replaced the too large ring with a smaller one so that hopefully won't ever happen again. Again, I'm glad that I was at home to release her. Daisy used to bark too much, but I wish this dog barked more than she does. I've heard her bark only three times since we've had her, and two of those were tonight when she saw a cat on our walk. I hope she'll find her voice eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home