Dog Blog

Sunday, July 26, 2009

I missed another basset hound, doggone it!  This one was at Gracie's Adoption Center at the SPCA.  I'm wondering why they didn't contact me, because I just signed up last Friday for their Pet Request Program to be matched with a basset.  It was a male, too, the sex I requested.  A friend of mine at the dog park told me he was there yesterday but was on hold.  I went over this afternoon, just in case they didn't come through and adopt him, but there was a sign on the kennel saying he'd been adopted and was scheduled for surgery.  

He was a nice boy, white with black and some brown in his coat, and his head was dark with the red eyebrows you see on many bassets of this color variety.  It gives them kind of a quizzical look that is so endearing, as if they weren't already the most endearing dogs.  He was very friendly and came right up to me for pets, flopping down on one hip, as is their way of sitting. His long tail beat an eager tattoo on the concrete floor.  He was young but fully grown.  The only reason I can think of as to why they didn't call me is that I may not have specified the right age for this dog on my application, which I have since corrected to state age 1 to 6.  Anyway, I would have adopted this dog if given the chance, but no one at the shelter contacted me.  

It will be interesting to see if anything comes of signing up for their new program.  They used to answer their phones and tell you if they had a specific breed of dog in the shelter, but no more.  I can never get through to the staff there at the adoption center.  I'm not sure if it's because they are short-handed or they saw an opportunity to make some more money.  It costs $40 to sign up for 90 days.  I hope I don't just go on a long list and never get called.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home