Dog Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

WHAT ARE THEY FEEDING OUR PETS?


Here's a long list of recalled pet foods from The Truth About Pet Foods dating from November 7, 2013 and going all the way back to 2006, when my Daisy and Bubba were both sickened, though I had no clue at the time what was causing it.  Neither did their vet.  I shudder to think how many pets have been sickened or killed since then by poisoned food their people unknowingly fed them, believing they were giving their adored pets the best of everything.  I am sickened and disgusted by this failure of our government to ensure the safety not only of our food but that of our pets.  Both I and my pets have been victims of these poisonings.  

I met a woman at the dog park who was touting the benefits of the raw diet her friend's Great Dane's is fed.  The dog was young, though the woman commented that it tires very quickly.  I wondered why that would be the case.  The dog looked too thin for its size, I thought.  She said the dog is fed a chicken thigh twice a day.  That doesn't seem like much food for a huge dog like a Great Dane, nor would I think a chicken-only diet would be a well rounded diet for a dog, especially considering the current dangers of raw chicken.  I think people tend to forget that modern dogs are not the same animals their wolf ancestors were.  They've been foraging from human garbage for eons.  Sure, a dog can subsist on meat only, but I don't think of that as an optimum diet for robust health in a domesticated dog. I'm sure BARF fans will vehemently disagree, but that's what my common sense tells me. 

You will see that there are several listings on the recall list of BARF and other raw pet foods.  Even lamb, duck, and other meats you wouldn't consider to be a danger are being affected.  If you are feeding your pet a raw diet, I would probably discontinue that for the time being, considering the salmonella danger.  I personally wouldn't feed my dogs any raw meats, especially chicken.  

These deadly drug-resistant bacteria are being caused by antibiotic-injected livestock and the terrible conditions animals are forced to endure before they are slaughtered.  When will it stop?  When will the welfare of living beings be considered more important than making the most money possible from their misery? 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home