Dog Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

PUPS Act


Here's one of many reasons why I continue to vote for Senator Barbara Boxer, the animals' champion:


United States Senate



Dear Ms. Wright:

Because you have previously written to me with your concerns
regarding animal welfare, I wanted to let you know about an
important new bill.
I am proud to report that I am an original co-sponsor of S.395,
the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act.  This
bipartisan legislation would close a loophole in the Animal
Welfare Act (AWA) and require dog sellers who breed 50
or more dogs annually for sale, including those who conduct
business over the internet, to provide more humane treatment
of all dogs.
As you may know, breeders who sell dogs to brokers or pet stores
must be licensed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA),
undergo USDA-led inspections, and provide sanitary and humane
conditions for the dogs they breed.  However, dog breeders often
sell directly to the public, and sales are increasingly conducted
over the internet.  Unfortunately, these breeders can circumvent
federal oversight because they are not currently subject to AWA
regulations.
The PUPS Act has been referred to the Senate Agriculture Committee.
Be assured that I will work with my colleagues to see this bill passed by
Congress and signed into law.
Thank you for your past correspondence on animal welfare matters.
Please know that I will continue working to ensure that animals are
treated humanely.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home